20 April 2012

Friday Pick of the Week

And we're back...

After a 9 month hiatus, it is time to fire things up again.  How else could we begin than with a Friday Pick of the Week?

Virgil, quick come see - there goes Robert E. Lee. Thanks esquire.com.


Sad news came yesterday with the death of Levon Helm, drummer of The Band.  I hold the utmost respect for a man with rhythm, much more for one who can maintain it while singing.  My apologies to Phil Collins, but Helm is far and away my favorite singing drummer (Karen Carpenter is second - sorry again Phil).  Even as my tastes have wandered into different styles of music over the years, Music from the Big Pink and The Last Waltz have remained staples for me.  The earthy sound and honest lyrics resonate with a subtle but real southern pride within me.

Rest in peace, Levon.  Below is a favored selection from the Martin Scorsese-directed The Last Waltz.


No comments:

Post a Comment