08 April 2011

Friday Pick of the Week

I hope to always maintain a broad spectrum in my musical catalog, but I love getting back to my favorite artists, and I get excited when they put out new albums.  A couple of my favorite acts are coming out with new music this spring, with My Morning Jacket releasing Circuital in a few weeks and Fleet Foxes set to drop Helplessness Blues.  I am particularly pumped about the latter.  I loved Fleet Foxes self-titled first album, as well as the follow-up EP Sun Giant.  No albums even come close in the numbers of plays on my ipod since Parker Ingle passed the music along.

May is the release date for Helplessness Blues (Robin Pecknold says it is "a real laugh riot"), as well as the ensuing tour, and along with Parker and his main-squeeze Leanne, Chris Barefield, Rachel and I are going to see their show at the Tabernacle in Atlanta.  The Foxes have kindly passed along a sampling of music from the new album, including this video of "Grown Ocean," which is set to a video-documentary of the making of the album.  Watching it makes me feel cool.  Without further ado:




(As an aside, My Morning Jacket is also in the business of passing along free music.  Click the above link to their website, where they are in the process of mailing out weekly selections.  The next one will come from Circuital.  Enjoy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment