15 April 2011

A Letter to My Legislators

Jim Wallis at Sojourners God's Politics Blog has posted today an entry entitled "Woe to you, legislators,"  where he employs a scathing verse from Isaiah that seems remarkably pertinent.  In it he offers a link to a form letter written to representatives regarding the current budget.  I've rarely been one to write a congressman.  In fact, I don't really know anyone who does write their representatives, save for my postally-prolific Aunt Nancy.  Anyway, I decided to give it a shot.  Modifying their message a bit, here's what I sent:

Subject: A request regarding the federal budget


I find the current tone and direction of the conversation regarding the federal budget concerning.  From the plan offered by Congressman Ryan to the strict cuts made to the current fiscal budget, the choices being discussed by Congress are morally lacking.  Lawmakers seem to be sacrificing proven, essential programs that benefit low income earners, seniors and the international community while maintaining corporate subsidies, tax loopholes and a military budget that dwarfs the combined budgets of all combined foes.

As your constituent, I urge you to oppose any budget proposal that cuts domestic and international programs that benefit the poor, especially children, including:

1. Critical child health and family nutrition programs
2. Proven work and income supports that lift families out of poverty
3. Support for education, especially in low-income communities
4. International aid that directly and literally save lives.

I know that the political climate in Washington is challenging, and I am aware that difficult choices must be made.  I recognize too that political affiliations can limit a lawmaker.  But I pray that you will have the courage to defend the afflicted in the face of opposition.

Sincerely,

Frank Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment