01 July 2011

Friday Pick of the Week

Happy Friday, friends.  As you all know, I hope for a somewhat broad range in taste when it comes to popular music.  A few years ago I got on a bluegrass kick for a few months, enjoying music all the way from Bill Monroe and Del McCoury to Cherryholmes and Nickle Creek.  While I appreciate the old, pure stuff, I am partial to "newgrass."  One of my favorite bands of the folk/bluegrass/porch music revival has been Old Crow Medicine Show.  Their self-titled album remains a go to for me when I am in the right mood.

Recently, I was introduced to The Devil Makes Three, a band that reminds me of OCMS.  The group from Santa Cruz, California describes their music as folk-punk.  As you can tell in today's pick (as well as with the Avett Brothers), the strange sounding combination works beautifully - not unlike french fries dipped in a Wendy's Frosty.  For your enjoyment, I present to you The Devil Makes Three performing "Old Number 7."

No comments:

Post a Comment