04 July 2011

Independence Day

Gone, gone, gone
Not gone for long
When you're taught to be proud
Of where you come from

Speaking of revolutions, it is the fourth of July.  You may have noticed here at viva la re, we're prone to take a critical perspective towards a number of things: the Church, politicians, Alabama and the USA.  The tones of frustration can come across as condescending and hopeless.

Here's something that might not come across: I love America.  My homeland has afforded me privileges that I could not have enjoyed if born in most other places and times.  I have been provided with means and education at the sacrifices of countless others, both voluntary and involuntary.  Dissent is an essential component of democracy, and my hope is that as I criticize, I do so with hope and conviction. But even the right to dissent exercised frequently here is constitutionally protected.   I pray that my position of power and privilege will be poured out in pursuit of the virtues of liberty and justice.

The times I find it easy to be critical of America are abounding, for instance a tone-deaf woman in a karaoke bar shouting, "We'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way!"  But there are also moments when I take immense delight in my nationality.  In few times do I find more pride than Fourth of July fireworks.  One of my earliest memories is standing out of Eck Stadium watching the display with my parents.

And so as Rachel and I prepare to depart the Union at the end of the month, I hope tonight's fireworks over the Vulcan will again stir pride and thankfulness.  Happy Independence Day, friends.  Celebrate well the revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment